Beyond the windows loom
Stretch along and rise to bloom
Flooding streets and singing rhyme.
Downtown trains are full tonight.
White pale girls try hard
Their world shy discard
Cross pale and dull the light.
Like crows wave hands
Uneasy scatter and chat around
Watch the light now profound.
But proudly keep their stands.
Nothing captures their heart.
Like thorns they are - without a rose.
Oh, if I were the one they choose
I would span silent the dark.
I know that window, I know it's late
I know the stairs and the doorway
I stand by the light at the four-way
I walk down past the gate and wait.
Will I see her eyes tonight?
From a downtown train
A girl among many faces, insane
Will I catch her slight dim sight?
Oh my dreams, if she falls away,
Am I going alone nowhere?
Following the moon's glare
I lonely wait - watch the train stay.
But proudly keep their stands.
Nothing captures their heart.
Like thorns they are - without a rose.
Oh, if I were the one they choose
I would span silent the dark.
I know that window, I know it's late
I know the stairs and the doorway
I stand by the light at the four-way
I walk down past the gate and wait.
Will I see her eyes tonight?
From a downtown train
A girl among many faces, insane
Will I catch her slight dim sight?
Oh my dreams, if she falls away,
Am I going alone nowhere?
Following the moon's glare
I lonely wait - watch the train stay.
--------------
PS. "Downtown Train" is one of my favourite songs. Tom Waits’ voice, or Rod Stewart’s voice singing it, is a melody that makes me dream. I needed to write something of my own. I needed to take it, flush it out, confront it, and return it to the world: my world

Comments
Post a Comment