Skip to main content

The Little Book of the Dead - Luigi





When I looked at you, I looked as you ought look at me.
I watched you, and what I saw could be you.
Was what I felt what you felt?
Was my body ever given to you?

Was your body ever given to me?

With all the leaves gone almost from the trees,
I did not walk briskly away from the thought of you.
It was cold and icy outside, and soon it would be the snow.

I looked at the sky, at the high open place
Along the avenue where you were the last time I saw you
I tried to feel the same way you felt before you left.

Leaving for there where all must go.


I think of you and I ask myself, "What did you teach me?"
Silence is the answer. From you, I learned to be silent.

I remember you visiting our parents. You arrived silently. You exchanged a few words. You sat down and watched them without saying a word. Your visits used to last no more than 30 minutes. Ha fatto la visita del prete used to say mother.
Now I understand your being silent. It was your daimon. The daimon who guided you for your entire life. He was guiding you, even when we were kids. Un bambino taciturno, people used to say about you when we were kids.

Have you been taciturno because a deep, bottomless tristezza was possessing you?
Was that silence, the surface of your groundless tristezza, that made you suffer in this world and pushed you to concoct complex architectures of lies?
I am not sure whether you were better than me, but I have never suspected that you could lie all your life to save that little child—triste and taciturno—who moved you in your life upon this earth.

You are dying tonight. This dystopian world you believed in has killed you.
I am sitting on the terrace, and far, far away, the dawn is coming.
But a sudden haze has risen and is now covering the horizon.

I think of you—your name on my lips. I pray for you, watching beyond the trees.
We all die unknown on this earth, where we pass fleetingly, like a stranger.
Ti voglio bene, Luigi. I love you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Similarities between Lithuanian, Sanskrit and Ancient Greek: the sigmatic future

by Fabrizio Ulivieri Lithuanian is the most archaic among all the Indo-European languages spoken today, and as a result it is very useful, indeed, indispensable in the study of Indo-European linguistics. The most important fact is that Lithuanian is not only very archaic, but still very much alive, i. e., it is spoken by about three and a half million people. It has a rich tradition in folklore, in literature, and it is used very successfully in all walks of modern life, including the most advanced scientific research. Forced by our interest for this piece of living archaism, we go deeper in our linguistic survey. One of the most noticeable similarities is the future (- sigmatic future -). Lithuanian has preserved a future tense from prehistoric times: it has one single form, e.g. kalbė-siu 'I will speak', etc. kalbė-si kalbė-s kalbė-sime kalbė-site kalbė-s This form kalbėsiu is made from the stem kalbė-(ti) 'to speak', plus the ancient stem-end...

Yellow moons

Yellow moons at nighttime, Beyond the windows loom Stretch along and rise to bloom Flooding streets and singing rhyme. Downtown trains are full tonight. White pale girls try hard  Their world shy discard  Cross pale and dull the light. Like crows wave hands  Uneasy scatter and chat around Watch the light now profound. But proudly keep their stands. Nothing captures their heart. Like thorns they are - without a rose. Oh, if I were the one they choose I would span silent the dark. I know that window, I know it's late I know the stairs and the doorway I stand by the light at the four-way I walk down past the gate and wait. Will I see her eyes tonight? From a downtown train A girl among many faces, insane Will I catch her slight dim sight? Oh my dreams, if she falls away, Am I going alone nowhere? Following the moon's glare I lonely wait - watch the train stay. -------------- PS. " Downtown Train" is one of my favourite songs. Tom Waits’ voice, or Rod Stewart’s voice sing...

Lietuviško skausmo kultūra

  Gyvenu Lietuvoje jau keletą metų. Vertinu daug dalykų Lietuvoje. Ypač įdomūs man pasirodė žmonės. Mano nuomone, tai žmonės - ypač kilę iš kaimo vietovių, kurie sudaro daugumą - giliai įsišakniję skausmo kultūroje. Čia dalinuosi savo pastebėjimais, kurie gali būti neteisingi. Jei mano pastebėjimai neteisingi, prašau juos laikyti išoriniais — užsieniečio iš kitos kultūros žvilgsnio pastebėjimais Pagarba kitam paprastai matuojama laisve : „Kiek toli galiu peržengti savo laisvę, netapdamas problema kitam?“  Lietuvoje šis matas tampa kitu klausimu: „Kiek toli galiu peržengti savo skausmo slenkstį, kad mano skausmas netaptų problema kitam?“ Lietuviška kultūra yra giliai panirusi į skausmo viziją. Taip nutiko dėl daugelio priežasčių, tačiau svarbiausia, mano akimis, yra viena: lietuvis žmogus yra užsidaręs savyje - izoliuota, uždara ir beveik neįveikiama monada. Lietuvis žmogus turi savo tapatybę, bet ją visada sieja su dominuojančia viešąja mintimi. Jis eina savo keliu, bet visada...