Skip to main content

The Smiling Harlot





Her smile hit me straight in the heart. And it hurt.

I would never have imagined her so happy. She was really happy, in that picture.

I felt envy and yet her smile gave me back serenity. She was cooking, in that picture. And she was smiling.

- Little things can give great happiness. But you never listened to me.

A sharp pain and then my heart began to beat again as before.

- But was it a real smile of happiness? Smiles in pictures are never true, after all. A smile like that can be deceiving. How can a negative, selfish and unhappy woman like her be happy?
Her smile meant distance:

La imagine per solo fama generata è sempre più ampia, quale che essa sia, che non è la cosa imaginata ner vero stato***

Her inherent nature was the nature of a bitch, ready to sell herself to whomever would pay the most. Who lives deeply inside such a nature gains a deep throat and never finds rest.

I'm a humanist. I study humanity. I'm running behind humanity following men like Poggio Bracciolini who ran for monasteries in search of books forgotten to mankind. I discover natures that bind the world to false appearances under the agency of impenetrable demons who only long for hiding.

That smile was not the nature of the woman I had loved. It was the one of a prostitute, who, by virtue of her own demon, lost in her fictitious happiness pretended to be happy.



***The image begotten by fame alone is never more ample, whatsoever it may be, than the imagined thing in its true state


Princas Vilnuje
Fabrizio Ulivieri





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Similarities between Lithuanian, Sanskrit and Ancient Greek: the sigmatic future

by Fabrizio Ulivieri Lithuanian is the most archaic among all the Indo-European languages spoken today, and as a result it is very useful, indeed, indispensable in the study of Indo-European linguistics. The most important fact is that Lithuanian is not only very archaic, but still very much alive, i. e., it is spoken by about three and a half million people. It has a rich tradition in folklore, in literature, and it is used very successfully in all walks of modern life, including the most advanced scientific research. Forced by our interest for this piece of living archaism, we go deeper in our linguistic survey. One of the most noticeable similarities is the future (- sigmatic future -). Lithuanian has preserved a future tense from prehistoric times: it has one single form, e.g. kalbė-siu 'I will speak', etc. kalbė-si kalbė-s kalbė-sime kalbė-site kalbė-s This form kalbėsiu is made from the stem kalbė-(ti) 'to speak', plus the ancient stem-end...

Yellow moons

Yellow moons at nighttime, Beyond the windows loom Stretch along and rise to bloom Flooding streets and singing rhyme. Downtown trains are full tonight. White pale girls try hard  Their world shy discard  Cross pale and dull the light. Like crows wave hands  Uneasy scatter and chat around Watch the light now profound. But proudly keep their stands. Nothing captures their heart. Like thorns they are - without a rose. Oh, if I were the one they choose I would span silent the dark. I know that window, I know it's late I know the stairs and the doorway I stand by the light at the four-way I walk down past the gate and wait. Will I see her eyes tonight? From a downtown train A girl among many faces, insane Will I catch her slight dim sight? Oh my dreams, if she falls away, Am I going alone nowhere? Following the moon's glare I lonely wait - watch the train stay. -------------- PS. " Downtown Train" is one of my favourite songs. Tom Waits’ voice, or Rod Stewart’s voice sing...

Poetry dwells near the divine light's breath

  The comparison between poetry and divine light that we have proposed HERE finds its perfect explanation in Saint Paul, Epistle to the Romans 1:19: τ ὸ γνωστὸν τοῦ θεοῦ φανερόν ἐστιν ἐν αὐτοῖς, ὁ θεὸς γὰρ αὐτοῖς ἐφανέρωσεν — “that which may be known of God has been made manifest in them (in men), for God has manifested it unto them”. Poetry unveils within the human being the need to be human, that is, the need for Beauty, the need to feel Beauty within oneself and alongside oneself; and this feeling is sustained by divine light. Since we are influenced by the Augustinian idea of saeculum , we hold that poetry belongs to the saeculum and therefore comes to a halt upon the threshold of divine light [I] without crossing it, though perceiving the light that lies beyond that threshold. We are led to that threshold by the human feeling of Beauty that dwells within us and guides us to that point: to that door which cannot be crossed in our human condition. And yet, the mere act of stan...