Thursday 6 July 2023

Power doesn't want you to remember

 




I've never thought the fight against power could be a fight against memory. 

Power deliberately brings lapses of memory by using media and propaganda.

"Allende's assassination quickly erased the memory of the Russian invasion of Bohemia, the bloody massacre in Bangladesh made Allende forget, the war in the Sinai desert stifled Bangladesh's tears, the Cambodian massacre made Sinai forget. and so on...until everyone completely forgets everything." (Milan Kundera - The Book of Laughter and Forgetting).

Many people fought and died for their country and their memory has gone lost or manipulated by the current Power that speaks on behalf of them who fought for something that really was the opposite of the new power that is now speaking in their name.

This is what we call, betrayal of memory.

I like thinking that the will of remembering is like being fond of your own destiny. Not forgetting is what gives you the strength and energy to go on with your ideas and to keep yourself firm in what you believe.

You don't give up because you remember, the memories you rely on are your fuel.

If you forget you are no longer a man, you are a shadow, or a sheep. Sheep are just a shadow that reminds humanity of the missed difference between a man and an animal.

What is in fact a man without memory? 

An animal.



Follow me on Substack



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I write

  Ordinary life does interest me. It gives me substance and makes me be what I am. But I seek in it only the high moments. I search for the ...