Saturday 4 March 2023

Salomėja Nėris: the compulsive obsession of disappearing - it will fal on my chest

 








In the pagan sensibility of Salomėja Nėris, who we talked about here a few days ago, there is a theme which is constantly recurring like a nightmare: ”One day I won’t be here”. The obsession of dying.

This excruciating poem is one of the many examples.

Manęs dar nebuvo -
Alyvos žydėjo - -
Manęs nebebus jau -
Jos vėliai žydės -
Ir kris jų lapeliai
Nuo saulės ir vėjo,
Kaip smėlio saujelės,
Ant mano širdies -


No, I wasn't there
when the lilac bloomed
No, no sign of me will be there
when it again will bloom
and the little leaves will fall
of sun and wind they will die
and handfuls of sand
will fall on my chest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I write

  Ordinary life does interest me. It gives me substance and makes me be what I am. But I seek in it only the high moments. I search for the ...