Friday 9 December 2022

Actual sentences - Ričardas Gavelis: a fog of obedient, sickening fear

 



Today we want to present another very topical phrase. The phrase is by Ričardas Gavelis (1950 - 2002), author of one of the most famous Lithuanian novels, Vilniaus Pokeris. written in Vilnius between 1979-1987, first published in 1988.

There is a good English translation by Elizabeth Novickas.


Turbūt dar visai anksti, bet Vilnius tuščias. Vilnius kasdien vis tuštesnis – juo tuštesnis, juo didesnė gatvėse spūstis. Apmiręs miestas, o viršum jo kybo nuolankios, šleikščios baimės rūkas. Vilnius, kurį myliu, Vilnius, kuris esu aš pats, palaidotas tarsi Pompėja po lava, tarsi Atlantida po vandenimis. O mudu su Lolita esam šešėliai: gyvieji vilniečiai, ta skruzdžių minia, drumzlina upė, neklajoja vakaro gatvėmis, nešneka taip, kaip mes

"It's probably still early, but Vilnius is empty. Vilnius is getting emptier day by day - and the emptier it gets, the more congested the streets. The city is dead, and above it hangs a fog of obedient, sickening fear. The Vilnius I love, the Vilnius that is me, buried like Pompeii under lava, like Atlantis under the oceans. And Lolita and I are shadows: the living people of Vilnius, the crowd of ants, the murky river, are not wandering the evening streets, are not speaking as we do."

This sentence is in a way prophetic. During the so-called pandemic, if you were wandering along the street of Vilnius you simply had the same feeling. Above all at the beginning of this presumptive pandemic.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I write

  Ordinary life does interest me. It gives me substance and makes me be what I am. But I seek in it only the high moments. I search for the ...