Wednesday 9 June 2021

500 miles - Third Mile

 






But us, Jack and I, full of hormones, were happy. We were so happy that we had a room for us. We ran, we laughed, we screamed, we burst with joy.
We were so happy, Jack and I. Two kids. Two mad kids intoxicated by compulsive frenzy.
But the fortune, you know the fortune...that thing that has an agency over human affairs?...
I soon got pregnant and we needed more space, one room was nothing.
And Jack had a car accident and he lost his job.
...you know that thing that has an agency over human affairs? Yes, that was the Fortune.

How well-off do you think we'll be? I asked Jack.
Well, it's not so good, Kate. Won't have so much now. He said from the bed where he was recovering. Never mind, though, I will fix it.
Look, Jack, how much much will we have? And I sat next to him.
Well, you are not earning no more and I am down to sickness benefit, How much is that? Do you know? He asked me.
No, but it's not very much. I said again. And we have to get out of here, your brothers are coming out of the army. You know?
Yes, I know. But still, we have savings?
Yes, 30 pounds.
Oh my God!

So we moved to his sister's.
I was confident though and hoped because if it is true that Fortune is the arbiter of half of our actions, still leaves the other half of them, more or less, to be governed by us.
Shouldn't I?

Seguimi su Telegram: https://t.me/princasvilniuje

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I write

  Ordinary life does interest me. It gives me substance and makes me be what I am. But I seek in it only the high moments. I search for the ...