Saturday 19 June 2021

500 miles - Fifth Mile







Maybe I should have prayed, but I should have believed...
That place was the Hell. Pure Hell. A pray could have helped.
But I should have believed...

The sister was renting to an old retired colonel. He had spent a lot of his youth in India. Now he spent a lot of his time in the toilet, which was always busy.
And that was a problem.

When I first came here, we never had no children in here. This was only for a married couple or one on their own. You had ladies here then. And what ladies! He laughed. He went on. There was rats under the floorboard...then came people from the council and took all the floorboards up and put all poison down for the rats and they said that, definitely, rats had been there but they'd probably gone somewhere else. To annoy somebody else...that was one of the colonel's tales when he was not in the toilette.

Oh, if I had believed...

One night dropped by us Rachel. A Jack's old friend.
We've got a new friend at work. You know her, Jack, you knew her when you went to school, Jack.
Really? Who's that?
Uh, Christine something or other...Coarsebottom or something.
Oh, I remember, Brewer, wasn'it?
That's it! she's on the bra counter.
Well-suited to work that, I'll tell you.
We all laughed. When you are young you laugh, you need to laugh, it is in the nature of things that you laugh, when you are young.
It is in the nature of things when you are young and poor, bloody poor, that you dream of a dignified life, and try to have dignified chats, and in your simplicity, you feel that you could even break that wall that keeps you far from what you hope for.

Seguimi su Telegram: https://t.me/princasvilniuje

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I write

  Ordinary life does interest me. It gives me substance and makes me be what I am. But I seek in it only the high moments. I search for the ...