Monday 26 August 2019

Unsubstantial books - Kurt Vonnegut "Slaughterhouse 5"



I took the decision to not read novels because they are unsubstantial. The 99,99% (against my will I arrived at this percentage given the high number of unsubstantial novels I daily read). I read essays, now, because usually they still persist in giving a better dimensionality about the contents. At least (technically) they have this aim. Novels today are unable to express Any ethical philosophical religious value. The unique law/code they follow is to be flat (i.e. easily graspable) avoiding to engage the human mind of their readers in any sort of conflict this engagement could eventually lead. Novels must be anodyne, FIRST. They have to face reality as a desktop faces the user. Flat, virtual, unsubstantial. Without depth.
One of the latest examples might be "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut. A book well structured, a multi-layered-text. With a little amount of presumption to express deep contents. Like the problem of human sufferance, human animality, time travels, encounters with ETs, In reality, after fifty pages the books becomes boring. No change of speed/pace, no alteration of rhythm, same way of plotting, and the irritating repeating of the same refrain ad infinitum "So it goes".
In the end, in my opinion, even though is a well-equipped story, the story remains unable to take off because it lacks the capacity of remodelling itself while narrating itself.
It is a text that has many tools but it is incapable to disclose the deep and harsh reality which would face and remains quite superficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I write

  Ordinary life does interest me. It gives me substance and makes me be what I am. But I seek in it only the high moments. I search for the ...