Friday 30 November 2018

Writing, a beautiful obsession





"I do not represent anything. I am the representation. But everything is mixed. Life, characters ... then is everything false? No! It's all true. Especially the characters. Acting for me is to live more. To add. Idealize, transfigure.
Add emotion to emotions, passion to passions. Where the performance ends, my reality ends "(Monica Vitti).

I couldn’t better express, what does it mean to me writing, in a better way than using Monica Vitti’s words, when she expressed in the above stated propositions what did it meant for her to act.
Writing, for me as well, is living more. It is first of all, above all and essentially, "to live more" in the very moment I write. I could not divert myself from Monica Vitti’s definition.

Honestly, I did not appreciate and I even truly underestimated the culture of the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies in Italy, I had no idea how pregnant were those years. Perhaps, because I now live far from Italy, I began to look at Italy with different eyes than before.
Perhaps it is true what Prezzolini said "[...] very far away, through the veil of poetry, and without any contact with the bad champions of our motherland, everything that is beautiful and healthy can come back to mind and arouse nostalgia [...] yes, we are reduced to this, sometimes [...] looking at it from afar, this Italy of ours, to really love her. "

If something connects me to Italian neorealism, the only thing that in fact binds me to neorealism – which, like Catholicism, permeates Italian culture (and I'm Italian) - is the interior neorealism of Michelangelo Antonioni.
And for this reason I have to share the words of this man, protagonist of the years mentioned above, significant years for Italian culture and never repeated: "We know that under the revealed image there is another image more faithful to reality, and underneath this another one again, and again another under the latter: the true image of that reality, absolute, mysterious, that no one will ever see, or perhaps even the decomposition of any image, of any reality ".



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I write

  Ordinary life does interest me. It gives me substance and makes me be what I am. But I seek in it only the high moments. I search for the ...