Monday 9 July 2018

Why freedom is prejudicial to creativity?




I always thought that too much freedom, democratic freedom understood like a form of exasperated individualism (Italian style), is detrimental to creativity. Creativity, the real one, that is linked to the power of internal messages and based on the support of strong values (ideologies, heroism, honour, courage ...).
The literary creativeness we are witnessing today is a mere reproduction without any minimal content. Framed Memes. I can not find a better definition.

In the words of Curzio Malaparte, La pelle, I find confirmation of how too much freedom can be prejudicial to the individual (and his creativity). Too much freedom is similar to a plague, as Malaparte describes it, in terms of  liberation of Naples by the American forces.
"If an Allied soldier leaned out of his jeep and smiled at a woman and then stroked her face in a fleeting and slight way she, preserved dignified and pure up to that moment, would become a prostitute. If a child put a candy to his mouth offered by an American soldier, that innocent soul would be suddenly corrupted [...] Freedom is something a folk can pay dearly. Freedom costs more than slavery. And you pay freedom not with gold, nor with blood nor with the noblest sacrifices, but with cowardice, prostitution, perfidy and all the rottenness of the human mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I write

  Ordinary life does interest me. It gives me substance and makes me be what I am. But I seek in it only the high moments. I search for the ...