Thursday 29 March 2018

From "Love,šaltibarščiai and red tomatoes" - gimtoji kalba "Original language"





We were on the trolleybus number seven that afternoon.. We had taken it at the stotelė, bus stop, near the train station after leaving the restaurant. The trolleybus was freezing and almost empty.
Perhaps driven by the cold and by her frozen feet because of the snow that was covering streets and sidewalks in Vilnius Austėja came closer to me, pulled me in and squeezed me so tight, and finally kissed me.

That being (self) that until a few moments before had inhabited a private area and was a far stranger to me suddenly decided to open up in that kiss.
I felt the disproportion between the silent being that had lived before when we were in the restaurant and what was disclosing to me now, the inequality between the being that I had perceived in the distance and the being that I perceived in the vicinity of the physical contact bred by her kiss. That kiss assumed the form of a point of union that seemed to invite us to reconciliation, understanding and reciprocity.

- Palauk (wait)! – murmured Austėja - that man is watching us. I do not like being watched while I kiss you.

But despite the fact that Austėja had voluntarily interrupted the kiss and distanced herself a little, that new self born from the kiss did not leave. It remained instead, stable, and increased the desire for our bodies, which now resulted in an apparent suspension that made us feel the irreconcilable contrast of two bodies and two minds that, even though bound together, in the restaurant had come into conflict and adapted to that disagreement.

Now the body predominated, as before - during lunch - a feeling of distrust of one in the other had prevailed and had crept in all the time as we were slipping from one universe to another.

Now that the body spoke and in the simplicity of that gimtoji kalba, the original language, the rapprochement had been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I write

  Ordinary life does interest me. It gives me substance and makes me be what I am. But I seek in it only the high moments. I search for the ...